Pourquoi nous devrions savoir comment changer AT&T WiFi Password
Are you a U-Verse user? Plus précisément, are you an AT&T U-Verse user? Dans l'affirmative, your router may be a 2Wire Gateway or a standard one. No matter what the router you have, you might want to change your WiFi password as a security measure. If you have a strong WiFi password, that’s a smart move to keep hackers away from your WiFi network. Cela dit, do you know how to change AT&T WiFi password? Si ce n'est, you can read this article until the end and learn how to do it easily.
When it comes to the 2Wire Gateway router, it comes with a web interface. This respective web interface can be accessed through a web browser as you would normally do with any router. Once logged into this interface, you can change the configurations of the router. Par exemple, it allows you to change SSID, mot de passe, encryption type, canaux, and all the other settings. One of the most appreciable things associated with this 2Wire Gateway is that it comes with pre-enabled WiFi encryption. Dans ce cas, you don’t have to worry about WiFi encryption. When it comes to newer router modems, they come with WPA2 encryption. Cependant, the older routers come with WPA, and you will have to change it to WPA2. As you might be already aware of, WPA2 is a lot securer compared to WPA.
Dans certains cas, it is reported that some AT&T installers ask users to keep WiFi passwords unchanged. It is also said that those installers tell users to keep the network name unchanged. As they say, if you change the password or network name, the connection would slow down. Cependant, the truth is that a password change or network change might not cause such impact on the speed. No matter what the password or the network name is, the connection speed will remain the same. Cependant, there can be other aspects that might affect the speed (but again, not the password or the name). En fait, the installers instruct users to leave the passwords untouched so the users won’t log into the admin page. Some users log into admin page and play wildly, et par conséquent, the configurations will be messed up. Eh bien, we strongly instruct our readers to prevent from messing around with the settings of the admin page. If you follow the instructions properly, nothing bad will happen. If you just need to know how to change AT&T WiFi password, just stick to the instructions we emphasize.
Before we start the process, we suggest you get familiar with the reset button of the router. This button is located on the rear side of the router device. Getting familiar with the router can become handy if you – by any chance – make a mistake with the settings.
How to change AT&T WiFi password; the steps
Dans la plupart des cas, any user would opt to change the WiFi password on the router at first. This would be done soon after they are getting connected to the router page. En fait, this is the case with all the routers no matter what the brand or the model is.
En général, any person who has access to the internet would know the default password of the router. Any hacker who needs to hack a nearby router would surely try the default password before other tricks. C'est pourquoi, changing the default password and the network name is a mandatory step for any user.
Cela dit, let’s take a look at the steps you should follow in order to change WiFi password.
- Tout d'abord, you should have a look at the side of the router where there’s a sticker. This sticker has details like the IP address of the respective device and Device Access Code. Par exemple, it may come in the format of . XXX should be replaced by a specific number.
- Maintenant, get your computer connected to the same router if you haven’t done it already.
- You should now enter the aforesaid IP address in a browser of your preference.
- Provide with the Device Access Code when it prompts.
- Now you should go to LAN and WiFi option.
- Select User Network option, and then you can change the WiFi password of the router as indicated.
- Once the password is changed, you should select the Save option. This option is located at the bottom of the page (right side).
- Maintenant, you will be able to use this new password to connect the devices with the network. The devices that are already connected to the network through WiFi will be signed off automatically. You will then have to use the new password in order to connect back.
How to Change SSID on 2Wire Gateway
When it comes to AT&T 2Wire Gateway, its default SSID is 2WIRE(XXX). XXX should be replaced by the last three digits of your router’s serial number, and the brackets aren’t there. Alors, it is obvious that every modem has a different serial number and therefore, the SSID is different. Cependant, when there’s a large number of AT&T routers in a single place, things can be pretty difficult. Dans ce cas, network identification will be a nightmare. C'est pourquoi, it is wiser to change the SSID to an easy-to-identify name. Mentionnés ci-dessous sont les étapes pour le faire.
- Use a browser of your preference and log into the 2Wire Gateway router. You can type in in the address bar to do this.
- Select the option LAN and WiFi.
- Go to the Network name that you need to change (SSID).
- Change the default name into another name you prefer.
- Once the name is changed, you should save it by clicking on the “Enregistrer” bouton.
As a result of changing the SSID, you will experience a small benefit in the context of security. That means the potential hackers might not be able to recognize the router model you are using. Néanmoins, this option becomes handy particularly when there’s more than one router. In order to make it more efficient, you should use a memorable name to you. Cependant, the name also should be unidentifiable for outsiders. Par exemple, the SSID shouldn’t comprise of your name or apartment number. Au lieu de cela, you should use something complex or irrelevant to your identity.
Activate WPA2 Security on your router
This is the final configuration change you will have to use on your router. That is to apply the latest encryption on your AT&T router. En fait, comme mentionné précédemment, newer router models come with WPA2 encryption. This is enabled as the default encryption model. En fait, this is a benefit associated with AT&T routers. D'un autre côté, older router models come with WPA encryption. This specific encryption is significantly weaker compared to WPA2 mode. Alors, in order to ensure better security on your older router, just enable WPA2 security.
Mentioned below are the steps you should take in order to activate WPA2 encryption on the router.
- Choose a browser of your preference and then go to . This option will take you to the router page.
- From all the other available options, just select LAN and WiFi.
- Scroll and locate the option User Network and then find the option Authentication Type.
- Make sure that it is WPA2. If it is not already, you should get it changed into WPA2.
You should also know that AT&T (and other leading vendors) come with WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption. This is the standard when it comes to WiFi security as of today. This encryption mode will keep your WiFi network secured for now. Sooner or later, WPA3 will replace this encryption, and then you can experience even better security on your router. After changing the encryption mode, you don’t need to make any changes to the password. Aussi, you don’t need to change any other configurations on the router page. The devices that are already connected to the respective WiFi network will detect the encryption automatically and adapt themselves.
Eh bien, C’est exactement how to change AT&T WiFi password for good and make it a securer network. Apart from changing the password, we suggest you change the encryption mode and SSID for added security. Last but not least, we strongly advise our readers to prevent from changing other configurations on the router page.