Are you a Mi (Xiaomi) user for a long time? If so, you might remember that they featured an unlocked bootloader some time ago. Through this tool, it was convenient for the user to root the device whenever necessary. In addition to that, the users were able to flash custom ROMs and kernels using the same. Nevertheless, particularly because of the security concerns, Xiaomi manufacturers have actually stopped this feature. Now, this feature isn’t available in Xiaomi devices by default. Instead, they offer the Mi flash unlock tool which should be downloaded separately. Those who intend to unlock the bootloader of the Xiaomi device can get this tool downloaded.
If you wonder how to download this Mi flash unlock tool and unlock the bootloader, keep reading this article. We will explain how to download and use this Mi flash tool and use it for good.
PS: if you would like to know How to Flash a Phone, and how to perform bypass FRP, how to perform Backup and restores XiaoMi Phone, as well as how to download Android Multi Tool, these are just for you.
What is an Android custom ROM?
Before we learn how to use the Mi flash unlock tool, it is better to know about Android custom ROM. In simplest terms, ROM stands for ‘Read-Only Memory.’ So, Android ROM means Android Read-Only Memory. An Android ROM is a file that comprises a set of executable instructions for the OS and apps. This is also known as a system image. In fact, every Android device comes with a pre-installed ROM which is generally known as Stock ROM. However, a custom ROM is a third-party ROM that has some different features compared to the Stock ROM. Some of the custom ROMs come fully modified, and some custom ROMs are modified to work with older devices. In addition to that, some custom ROMs are developed to work with new devices prior to the official release. That means, some ROMs can have additional features that aren’t available with the original version.
You might have often come across the term ‘Flashing a ROM’ when you search the internet. In fact, flashing a ROM is the process of installing an aforesaid system image into a device. This is installed in the flash memory of the device. That is exactly why the process is called Flashing ROM. The flash memory of an Android device comprises of the firmware. This is the same process that is applied in most of the portable computing devices that have embedded OS.
Flashing ROM is being confused by most of the users
It is interesting to see that many individuals have misunderstood the concept of flashing ROM. In fact, Android ROM is a flash memory but not a ROM. As you may realize, ROM is Read-Only-Memory. Once ROM is programmed, it cannot be altered, and it is permanent. So, Android ROM is flash memory and doesn’t get it wrong.
Why do you need to install an Android Custom ROM?
Installing a custom ROM on your device requires a considerable amount of time and effort. But, in the first place, why would you install a custom ROM on your Android device? Is it good or bad? Let’s analyze both positive and negative aspects associated with installing a custom ROM before proceeding to the next phase.
01. Custom ROM allows you to experience the latest version of Android
One of the most popular reasons for users to install custom ROMs is to experience the latest Android version. Meaning, those who want to experience the features of the newer Android versions can do it through custom ROMs. As you might know, most of the manufacturers don’t necessarily update older Android devices. Also, there are some manufacturers who offer delayed updates (that can even take up to months). If your Android device is pretty old and you don’t get any updates, a custom ROM is an option. There are plenty of custom ROMs to be downloaded with different features.
02. To get a new skin for the stock ROM
Some of the leading Android device manufacturers skin their Android OS versions. As a result, they have eliminated the cleaner and simplified Android skin. For some of the users, this doesn’t look that good as it is a bit complicated. If you are such a user and still want to use a flagship device, a custom ROM is an option.
You cannot necessarily replace a manufacturer’s skin with an option you prefer. Nevertheless, you can simply use a different launcher without necessarily getting a ROM installed. You don’t even have to root the device. Nevertheless, the customizations that are made stays within the OS. To switch back to the original Android mode and experience its simplicity, you must go for a custom ROM.
03. To get rid of bloatware
In general, the phones you purchase come with bloatware. These apps can cause various troubles. For instance, the Contact app included in the device can save contacts on their servers. Usually, bloatware can necessarily ‘eat-up’ the disk space on your device and make it cluttered. In addition to that, some manufacturers add their own apps to the OS.
Although you can disable bloatware to stop their functionality, you cannot get backspace without erasing them. In this case, you should rely on a custom ROM and get rid of all of the bloatware.
04. To add extra features to the OS and perform system tweaks
One of the most exciting things about custom ROMs is that they come with extra features. In other words, these custom ROMs deliver extra features that aren’t available in original stock ROM. Also, it offers you the option of making various tweaks you cannot experience with stock ROM. Here are some of the options a custom ROM might allow you to do.
- To install newer skins and customize the entire operating system’s appearance.
- To customize the settings menu of the Android and include favorite personalized shortcuts.
- And to use apps in tablet mode on the phone with better and improved performance for some apps.
- It can overclock the device and increase its performance. Or, you can underclock it to run pretty slow and experience better battery life.
- Deactivate the volume warning which is constantly displayed by the original OS when you increase headphone’s volume.
- Hide the on-screen buttons and get better screen utilization.
- Gain root access by performing various tweaks.
In fact, the above is just a small list of the options available with custom ROMS.
It is true that some of the tweaks can be performed on Android devices using various tools. However, the truth is that these tools usually require root access to your device. In this case, installing a custom ROM is a way better approach as it anyway gives root access. Also, custom ROMs give more freedom with an increased number of options.
05. To configure app permissions
In general, custom ROMs are equipped with ways to manage app permissions when you use the device. This is a good way to avoid GPS location tracking on apps like Facebook. Also, it can be used to play games without providing your phone number or personal information after the tweaks.
Why shouldn’t you install an Android custom ROM?
You should also know the downsides of the Android custom ROMs before we jump into the Mi flash unlock tool. Like any other process, installing custom ROMs too has some downsides. However, the downsides might vary depending on the custom ROM you install. Also, it will depend on the compatibility of the ROM with the Android device. With that said, mentioned below are some of the issues that might occur when you use custom Android ROM.
- Many of the custom ROMs aren’t optimized for flagship Android devices. As a result, your device might end up consuming battery power excessively compared to the stock ROM.
- Some custom ROMs might not support the hardware components of the Android device you use. As a result, you might experience some bugs, non-compatible hardware, or other minor glitches pretty often.
- The custom ROM you install isn’t tested for compatibility either by the carrier or the manufacturer. As a result, the device might give some issues. Also, your device might run unstable (automatic restart, etc.).
So, take your time and analyze all those aspects before installing a custom ROM on your Android device. If you are 100% sure, you can simply proceed with the rest of the article.
Downloading Mi Flash Unlock Tool
Now that you’ve decided to install a custom ROM on your Xiaomi device, there is a process to follow. Before everything else, you should download Mi unlock tool for Xiaomi.
As you might know already, flashing is replacing the stock ROM with a custom ROM. In general, the devices come with preloaded ROMs from various manufacturers. The versions available in one device can differ from another flagship device. That is because the manufacturers generally do their own tweaks for the Android OS on their devices. By doing this, manufacturers probably expect to bring a uniqueness to their Android devices through the user-interface.
The official flashing tool offered by Xiaomi comes with the Xiaomi Mi flash tool for flashing. This can be used on any Mi device (including phones and tablets). In fact, Mi Unlock Tool is the best since it helps you to unbrick the device (with Flash boot file). Then, you can even get the stock firmware back. Also, if necessary, you can go for a custom ROM as well. Generally, those who have bricked their devices will have to seek the assistance of a professional to repair it. Obviously, it will cost some money. However, if you have this Mi unlock tool, you can do it by yourself.
Mi flash tool is the most comprehensive solution you can use to flash Mi devices with ease. It supports all the Xiaomi devices. In addition to that, the tool comprises of all the USB drivers as well. So, you don’t have to worry about downloading those USB drivers separately.
What you must know about it before the installation process begins;
- Mi flash tool is compatible with Windows 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
- It works on Windows 7 and newer versions.
- It comes in stable rendition.
- Before flashing your Xiaomi device, you should definitely root it.
- Before the process begins, you should uninstall all the other Mi flash tools installed.
- This tool supports Qualcomm processors as of this writing.
- This tool doesn’t work for devices that are older than Mi3.
How to Install Mi Flash Unlock Tool
Well, the steps to install Mi unlock tool on your computer are as follows.
1) Before everything else, you should download Mi flash tool package. Then, you should extract the downloaded files on the computer itself.
2) Now, you can open the folder you have just extracted. Then, click on the file .msi or .exe file.
3) Click on Next to proceed to the next step.
4) In the next screen, you should select the destination folder. In this folder, you will be installing the Mi Flash. It is OK to leave the default settings at this stage.
5) After clicking next, you will have to confirm the installation process.
6) You will then see the final screen on which you should click on the ‘Close’ button.
7) Now, the flashing tool is successfully installed on the computer.
You can now start the flashing process.
Please note that if you get a security prompt from Windows OS, just allow the software to be installed.
Use the Mi Flash Unlock Tool and Perform a Flashboot ROM on Your Xiaomi Device
The steps from this point onwards are mentioned assuming that you have already downloaded Mi flash tool. If you haven’t done it already, make sure you follow the steps in the previous section of the article.
- Run the Xiaomi Mi flash tool and then go to the option “Browse.”
- Navigate to the folder in which you have the ROM extracted as mentioned before.
- Now, you have to enter Fastboot mode on the device. To do this, you should switch off the device. Then, press the ‘Volume Down’ and ‘Power’ button simultaneously so the device will enter Fastboot mode automatically.
- Get the same device connected to your PC through a USB cable.
- Now, launch the flashing tool and go to the ‘Refresh’ button. You will now see the connected devices.
- After the device is being connected, you will have three options in front of you. Select the most appropriate option that addresses your situation. The steps are as mentioned below.
This option clears all the data located in the built-in storage of the device. Since this installation clears all the existing data, you will have to be very careful. This option does the changes that aren’t reversible.
Flash All Except Storage
This option will delete all the user data. But it will keep built-in storage data.
Flash All Except Data Storage
This option will not erase any of the data (both user data and built-in data will remain).
- After selecting the option, you should click on the ‘Flash’ button. Now, the flashing process will begin on the device. At the completion of this process, your device should reboot automatically. Please note that the device will take some time to start up completely after the reboot. Please be patient until the device is booted completely. Also, it is important to choose the ROM very carefully. Some of the custom ROMs necessarily get rid of default Xiaomi apps. In this case, we can recommend a ROM like CyanogenMod. It comes with a good reputation and is compatible with Xiaomi devices.
Also, when it comes to ROMs such as Fresh 3.5, they offer better speed and increased battery life.
Well, that is how to install a Flash ROM on your Mi device easily. Please go through the steps carefully and follow them accordingly.
Unlocking a Xiaomi device effortlessly without losing data
If you are looking for a convenient, fast, and hassle-free way to unlock a Xiaomi device, read this section. In this case, we will be using a special tool called Tenorshare 4uKey (Android). In fact, this tool is compatible with any Android device in the market.
- This tool can unlock your Xiaomi device even if you have lost the password of the lock screen.
- It can remove any lock screen within 5 minutes.
- User-friendly interface that can be used even by a novice user.
- More importantly, it unlocks any Android device without causing data loss at all.
- It is compatible with all Android devices, including Xiaomi.
If you download and install this powerful and user-friendly software, you can unlock the device in minutes. With that said, if you like our article about Mi unlock tool, please leave us a comment below.