In this article, we tell you how to exit DFU mode on your iPhone. Now, what’s DFU? DFU is expanded as Default Firmware Update. DFU is the deepest type of restore that can be performed on an iPhone. Not many people know how to put their iPhone on a DFU mode and even fewer people have an idea of how to exit this mode. Here, we will tell you both, how to get into the DFU mode to perform a restore and how to exit DFU mode, safely and easily, using a really cool software called dr.fone.
Essentially a DFU or a Device Firmware Update is a mode that is typically used on the iPhone to upgrade the operating system on the device. When the iPhone goes into a DFU mode, its touchscreen goes all black, which means you cannot use it for regular purposes.
This can be quite annoying and you would want to get out of it as quickly as possible. We will give you a step-by-step guideline later, on exiting DFU mode. Indeed, we shall discuss several methods to exit DFU mode on iPhone. But first, let us understand how to put your phone in a DFU mode.
- #1: First plug your iPhone into your Mac or PC and launch iTunes. This method works regardless of whether your iPhone is on or off.
- #2: Press the Sleep / Wake button and hold the Home Button along with them, together for about 10 seconds.
- #3: Now, after 10 seconds, you can release the Sleep / Wake Button. You should continue to press the Home Button till you get the message “iTunes has detected an iPhone in the recovery mode.”
- #4: You can now let go of the Home Button. The iPhone’s display at this point goes black in the DFU mode has been entered successfully. Try this again till you are fully satisfied.
- #5: Now you can restore your iPhone using iTunes.
Now, let’s discuss the various methods uses to exit DFU mode on the iPhone.
You can exit the DFU mode normally, but the only issue with that is that it takes time depending on the state of your iPhone. You can exit from the DFU mode by pressing and holding on to the “Power” and “Home” buttons on the iPhone for a few seconds.
You know where these buttons are located, we hope. All you need to do is to press and hold on to them simultaneously for about 10 seconds. The iPhone will restart in the normal mode in a few seconds. If this strategy doesn’t work the first time, try it again.
You can exit the DFU mode safely and easily without using the Home button, by making use of iTunes. For this, you should have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer and it should be compatible with your device. Here’s how to do it.
#1: Launch iTunes on your PC or Mac, have your iPhone connected to the PC with a USB cable.
#2: Now wait for iTunes realise your iPhone or iPad. Once it recognizes the device, you can see it on iTunes. If the device is not showing, shut down the computer. You can restart it again later once the iPhone is connected.
#3: Now tap the “Power” button on the iPhone. This should be enough to get the device restarted.
Now, you can exit DFU mode and restore your iPhone through the use of iTunes. This will restore your iPhone to its factory settings and causes the DFU mode to disappear. However, the problem with this method is that you will end up losing all the data from the device – this is an obvious consequence of restoring it to factory settings. So if you have any important data on the iPhone, like contacts, SMS text messages, WhatsApp attachments, photos, videos and so on, they will all get deleted. So unless you have already backed up your data on an external store or on the iCloud, you should not attempt the method described below.
A step-to-step guide to exiting DFU mode without the use of Power buttons.
#1: Connect the iPhone to your PC or Mac
#2: Launch iTunes on your computer. Use the “Restore” option in iTunes to restore the iPhone to factory settings.
#3: Once the restore is completed the iPhone restarts on its own.
The problem with restoring the iPhone to factory settings to exit the DFU mode is that you will end up losing all of the data stored in the device. There is an easier and better way to exit the DFU mode and it can be done using a single click.
This method involves the use of Dr.Fone– iOS Repair, which is the best iOS system recovery software out there in the market. With Dr.Fone, you can exit DFU mode without losing any data on the device. Dr.Fone enjoys an excellent reputation with both iPhone and Android users and is critically acclaimed too.
Let’s look at some of the features of Dr.Fone, the best iOS system recovery software in the market.
- #1: Dr.Fone allows you to exit DFU mode on an iPad or iPhone without losing any data whatsoever.
- #2: Dr.Fone offers a simple and elegant solution for various iOS system issues such as looping at the start, recovery mode, DFU mode, appearance of the white Apple logo, black screen, etc.
- #3: It works perfectly well with all Apple products and is compatible with all iPhones, iPad, and iPod touch models.
- #4: Dr.Fone is perfectly compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 10 as well as with MacOS 10.14 and iOS 12.
You can access Dr.Fone from the official website of the developer as well as from the App Store.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to exit the DFU Mode on your iPhone with Dr.Fone:
#1: Launch dr.fone on your computer. Fix the device to your computer. Now, you will notice four options at the left of the main window. Select the option “Repair“.
#2: The device does not turn on and appears stuck at the Apple logo, Recovery mode or with a black screen. That’s fine; you can now click on “Download” to download the matching firmware that can be seen on the Dr.Fone. That’s it, now all you need to do is to wait for the download to be completed.
#3: Once the download is complete, the firmware starts repairing the iOS and restores the iPhone to its normal state. Wait a few minutes for the iPhone to restart. It should now be back to normal.