PlayStation 4 (which is commonly known as PS4) is designed to be a video game console for home use. It is a product of Sony Interactive Entertainment. PS4 is released with several upgrades to its predecessor (PS3). Now, the competition among the home video consoles has become intense. Other consoles like Nintendo Wii U and Microsoft Xbox One are competing pretty hard with PS4. In fact, they all want to grab the attention of gamers across the globe. All of those gaming consoles fall under 08th Gen game consoles. However, PS4 shows some versatility because it can function as a video player as well. If you want to use a PS4 to play videos, that’s possible. But can PS4 play Blu-ray videos? In other words, is PS4 Blu ray a possible approach? Let’s find it out.
Does PS4 Blu ray work?
Let’s jump into the main question, straightaway. Does PS4 Blu ray work? Is it a workable approach? The simplest answer is YES. However, to make it possible, you should install a specific Blue-ray disc drive. This Blu-ray drive is designed exclusively to be compatible with the Blu-ray disc player. So, as a result, you will be able to play both Blu-ray and DVD discs smoothly. But one issue is there. PS4 doesn’t have the ability to read 3-layer media, which is the standard format of the Ultra HD Blu-ray. That means you cannot play the Blu-ray discs on a PS4 under normal circumstances. But you don’t have to worry about it. We will provide an answer in this article, enabling you to play 4K Blu-ray on your PS4 Console.
Besides, if you are looking for the best PS4 USB Hub, click to read more.
OK. How to play Blu-ray movies on your PS4 Console
Now that you have an idea about the PS4 Blu ray relationship, it’s time to learn how to do it. In fact, playing a Blu-ray video on a PS4 requires some tweaks. When you install the Blu-ray drive on your PS4, it will work exclusively for the regular Blu-ray disc. PS4 doesn’t support Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. However, it can play regular Blu-ray disks you see every day. In this section of the article, we explain the way to play regular Blu-ray discs through a PS4.
01. Download PS4 Software Update and install it
As we mentioned before, PlayStation 4 cannot play Blu-ray videos right after unboxing it. To make PS4 Blu ray possible, you should install a specific software update if you haven’t done it already.
To download the software update, you should connect your PS4 Console to the internet. Then, you should go to the function screen of the Console. Select the option labeled ‘Settings’ and go to ‘System Software Update.’ Then, get the latest software update installed. But what if your Console doesn’t have an internet connection? Don’t worry as there is a solution to this. In the absence of an internet connection, you can install the respective update through an external disk. If not, you can even use a USB storage to get the update installed.
02. Insert the disc you want to play into PS4 (Blu-ray or DVD disc)
Now that the software update is installed on the Console, you should insert the disc into the Console. It can be either a Blu-ray disc or a DVD disc. Apart from the protected discs you have purchased, you will be able to play burned discs as well. So, if you have downloaded a Blu-ray movie on a computer, you can watch it on a PS4.
03. Play the disc using the disc icon on your PS4
When you enter the main interface, you can find an icon with the shape of a disc. Then, you should select the respective disc icon and press the play button to complete it. That’s it! Your Blu-ray or DVD disc will be played smoothly on the PS4 Console.
Playing 4K Blu-ray movies on your PS4
Let’s get to another important point here. How to play 4K Blu-ray videos on your PS4 Console? It is true that Sony’s PS4 is designed to be compatible with Blu-ray or DVD playbacks only. However, PS4 experiences some issues pertaining to Blu-ray videos. These issues can be specifically experienced when you try to play 4K Blu-ray videos on PS4. The issue ‘Unrecognized Disc‘ appears pretty much every time when you try to play a 4K Blu-ray disc.
So, how can you play a Blu-ray movie on your PS4? Well, before we explain an affordable fix, we should mention an alternative way, as well.
An alternative to play 4K Blu-ray movies
If you can to spend a few hundred dollars extra for the sake of entertainment, there’s an alternative player. In other words, you can switch for a Sony 4K Blu-ray Player, which is dedicated to playing 4K videos. However, as mentioned before, you will have to spend about $168 extra on the device. For that amount, you can experience the following benefits.
- Excellent video quality with perfect clarity.
- Supports 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray.
- It is capable of playing pretty much any disc and file format with smooth operation.
- Compatible with multiple audio file formats and offer excellent sound quality.
- Dual HDMI outputs.
However, you should note that it is intended for movies and music, not for gaming. So, that may not be the best solution for those who are looking for an all-round solution. In that case, you will have to find a way to play 4K videos on the existing PS4 Console.
How to play 4K video on your PS4 without buying a separate device?
Technically, you cannot perform a PS4 Blu ray operation, especially if the videos are in 4K format. So, the quickest solution to address this issue is to convert 4K videos into a different format. That means you should convert 4K Blu-ray videos into a format that is compatible with your PS4 Console.
You don’t have to spend on a dedicated video player if you follow this strategy. All you need is to find a software that can convert 4K Blu-ray videos into a PS4-compatible format. For instance, you can consider formats like MPEG, H264, or another format that works with PS4.
Compared to a method that costs almost $170, this is a very easy and affordable option for many users. One of the best tools you can find to accomplish this task is AnyMP4 Blu-ray Ripper. This powerful software tool allows you to convert 4K Blu-ray movies into various other formats compatible with PS4. As a result, you can enjoy 4K Blu-ray movies on your existing PS4 Console. To get started, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
01. As the first step, you should download and install AnyMP4 Blu-ray Ripper software on your computer.
02. Once the software is installed, launch the program and click on the option labeled ‘Load Disc.’ This option will load the 4K Blu-ray movie inside the Blu-ray converter you have installed just before.
03. Now, you should select a video format that supports your gaming console (PS4/PS3). This option is located on the profile panel.
04. Be sure that you choose the highest (best) possible resolution of the video. To do that, you should click on the option labeled ‘Settings‘ (in the form of a button). Then, convert 4K Blu-ray video to PS4 into the best possible video output format.
05. You will have to confirm the details before proceeding to the next step. Then, click on the option labeled ‘Convert‘ (which is available in the form of a button). This will transcode 4K Blu-ray videos so they will be compatible with the PS4 Console. You can now play the 4K video in your PlayStation 4.
Now, let’s take a look at the most notable features associated with AnyMP4 Blu-ray Ripper.
- It can convert Blu-ray videos into various other file formats. For instance, it can be used to convert Blu-ray videos to MP4, AVI, FLV, MKV, WMV, MOV, etc.
- It can rip Blu-ray disc, a folder or an ISO image to 4K/1080p HD without losing the quality.
- In addition to converting videos into different formats, it can even perform some basic edits. For instance, it can perform clipping, cropping, adding simple effects, watermarking, rotating, applying 3D effects, etc.
Aiseesoft Blu-ray Player – An alternative way to enjoy Blu-ray movies
If you are looking for an alternative tool that can play Blu-ray movies in high-quality, use Aiseesoft Blu-ray Player. This software is an excellent alternative because it comprises of a plethora of features. For instance, it can play Blu-ray discs, Blu-ray folders, and Blu-ray ISO files as well. In addition to Blu-ray, it is perfectly compatible with other media formats, as well.
- You can use it to play Blu-ray videos in discs as well as in the folders and ISO.
- It is compatible with 4K Ultra HD Videos, SD video formats, and 1080P HD files.
- You can use it to play popular video/audio formats, as well. For instance, it can play MP3, MP4, MOV, OGG, AVI, and various other formats easily.
- It doesn’t cause any quality loss in the output video file.
- Compatible with 3D video playback, as well.
So, that’s our article about PS4 Blu ray video playing. As you have got to know, playing Blu-ray on PS4 is possible, but there are some shortcomings. By installing the latest updates, you can expect PS4 to play Blu-ray, but it doesn’t support 4K Blu-ray videos. So, should consider two options; choose a dedicated 4K Blu-ray player or converting the video into a playable format. As we believe, the latter is more affordable.