Repair “The Disk You Inserted Was Not Readable by This Computer” Error on your Mac Easily
Seeing WSAPPX High CPU, how to change the background on Mac, how to forget a Network on Mac, or “the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer” error is a frustration for many Mac users. Many Mac users in many parts of the world experience this issue and get annoyed. If you are one of those frustrated Mac users, this article is just for you. With this article, we will present the most effective ways to fix these issues.
The methods we present in this article are easier to follow even if you are a novice. You can try them one by one and check if you can fix the issue. We are confident that at least one of these methods will help you access the USB drives easily. If you need to get any help in data recovery, you should have EaseUS Mac Recovery software.
The annoying issue of “the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer”
Some Mac users say that they have some issues when their USB drive is connected to Mac. They say that their USB flash drives become undetectable due to some strange reason. When the flash drive is plugged into the Mac, an error message appears. It says “the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer”. Many users tend to frustrate after seeing this issue. That is because, their USB flash drives contain important files like photos, videos, documents, software, etc. So, these users wonder how to resolve this issue at their earliest.
What are the fixes to the “disk you inserted was not readable by this computer” error?
To access the files in devices like external hard drives, USB flash, etc., you should connect it to Mac. When you connect it to a PC or a Mac, you do it through the USB port. However, if there is something wrong with the system files or the disk, things can go wrong. Corrupted system files or faulty USB drives can prevent you from accessing the data in devices. When t comes to an operating system like Mac OS X, you will see a unique error message. It will say “the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer” on the message box that appears.
We have a solid solution to address this issue to the delight of many readers. This method is tested to be perfectly working and convenient even for novice Mac users. Well, let’s see how to deal with this issue. The process is mentioned in a step-by-step format so the users will be able to follow it easily.
1. Check your Mac
To perform this action, you should plug a different hard drive into the Mac (through USB). Then, observe if the system can find it. If the system can find it without any issue, the problem is associated with the previous USB drive. Your Mac is perfectly fine in this case.
2. Perform a check on the file format of the USB
The external hard drive or the USB you are trying to open has a specific file format. This respective file format is a key factor for the system to identify it. For instance, if the hard drive or the flash drive is formatted with NTFS, Mac will not identify it. To identify the hard drive or the USB, it must exist in FAT 32 file format.
However, to convert the disk into FAT 32, you will have to format it. The obvious outcome of formatting a disk is the loss of files. Therefore, we recommend to back up the data available on the disk before formatting it.
This is exactly when you will have to seek the assistance of a good backup utility tool.
3. Verify the disk
Now, let’s repair the disk that gives “the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer” issue.
- Select “Go” and then select “Utilities” on your Mac
- Then, double click on the option “Disk Utility”
- Make sure that you select the correct volume (the volume that needs repair permissions) from the left pane
- Click on the tab “First Aid”
- Click on the option “Repair Disk Permissions”
4. Initialize the disk
If you still experience the problem, you will have to initialize the disk that is already inserted. Here are the steps you should follow to perform this process on your Mac.
- Click on the button labeled “Initialize”.
- You will now be prompted to the “Disk Utility”. Go to Menu Bar and click on “View”. Then, select “Show All Devices”. Now you will be able to locate the faulty drive (that will appear as unformatted space.
- You can now choose the drive from your left pane and click on “First Aid”
- Click on the option “Repair Disk” and wait for the process to be completed. If you cannot repair the USB disk as “Disk Utility” doesn’t repair the disk, you may continue.
- You can now navigate to the button labeled “Erase”.
- Just name the drive and select the desired file format. Click on the option “Erase”. You can see that the drive is completely formatted with the correct file format.
At the completion of this process, you will be able to see the disk is recognized as expected. That means, “the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer” error will not be visible anymore.
What if you have formatted the disk drive and needed to recover the data from it?
If you have formatted a disk drive, your data is gone. That is obvious. But they are not gone forever. As long as you have a good data recovery tool for Mac, recovering lost data is pretty convenient. For our reader, we present two powerful data recovery tools. If you have formatted a disk to be compatible with Mac, you can try them and recover lost data.
Option #1: Recoverit Data Recovery
This is a powerful tool that comes with a range of features to recover lost files conveniently. This tool is perfectly safe and highly reliable for any Mac computer. It can recover data from Mac hard drives as well as from external devices like USB Flash drives.
Features of Recoverit Data Recovery
- It can recover deleted data on Mac very safely
- It can recover data deleted due to accidental deletion, lost partition, system crash, virus attack, formatting, etc.
- Recovery all the data types without any quality loss
- Supports Mac and Windows
How to recover deleted data using Recoverit?
1. Download and install Recoverit on the Mac.
2. Launch the program and then select the device on which your files were.
3. Click on “Start” button
4. Now, Recoverit will scan for the files that are lost. Wait for a while when the device performs a deep scan.
5. At the completion of the scan, you can check for all the recovered files. You can even preview the photos you have recovered.
6. Select the type of the data you intend to recover and click on the option “Recover”.
7. Save the files in a different folder.
Option #2: Recover lost files using EaseUS Data Recovery
This is another reliable option you can use to recover data from formatted USB flash drives. EaseUS is a highly impressive software that can recover data in an exceptionally convenient manner. This software doesn’t share any of the data you recover. Also, it is not accompanied by any malware.
Steps to recover data using EaseUS Data Recovery
1. Connect the USB flash drive into the Mac.
2. Launch the software (EaseUS Data Recovery) .
3. Then, select the flash drive that is already connected to the Mac.
4. Press the button labeled “Scan” and wait for the program to search for the files.
5. At the completion of the scan, you can see that the files are listed in the left pane.
6. You can click on the files you intend to recover and hit “Recover Now” button.
7. Save the recovered files in a different drive .
Well, those are the tools you can use to recover data from formatted drives. Those tools will be useful after format a USB flash drive to be compatible with Mac.
Have you tried all those options but “the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer” persisting? Then, there can be a physical defect in your drive. So, you will have to purchase a new one.