One of the problems that video creators face is managing the limitations of their storage devices. It’s not uncommon for a computer to come with a 2TB hard drive nowadays, but years ago this was a stretch. Now, even though you can buy a new 2TB hard drive for less than $100, if you record a lot of videos or audio files, it’ll take only a few months before it’s filled up. So, if you find yourself with a lack of storage due to raw content, what can you do? You can use one of the best WAV compressors.
Not everyone realizes that when you record a video, regardless of the storage device you record it to, it’s stored in its raw state. This means that it didn’t undergo any compression and therefore has a large file size. By putting a raw video file through a compressor, you can minimize the file size and use your storage space more effectively. The same goes when you record audio. Don’t worry if you don’t know which compressor to use; we’ve got the best solutions for you below.
Audio Formats: WAV or MP3?
Anyone who has had an iPod will have heard of MP3 files, but not as many people are aware of WAV files. The key differences between the two are:
- MP3. MP3 files use lossy compression, which has an impact on the quality of the audio. Since MP3 files use this type of compression, they use significantly less storage space.
- WAV. WAV files are in a raw state, aren’t compressed, and have very high-quality audio. Because they don’t use any compression, they also take up more storage space than other formats.
Even though the audio quality of an MP3 file isn’t as great as WAV, this isn’t something that many people will notice. The quality isn’t terrible, quite the opposite – the drop in quality isn’t substantial enough for us to pick up on. Keeping this in mind, the main difference is the file size and, in that regard, MP3 files take the top spot.
Online WAV Compressors
An online tool is more convenient than downloading software. Rather than waiting for the download to begin and then install the tool, you can simply open your browser and begin.
Without further ado, here are the five best WAV compressors that our team found.
#1 – Media.io (Online UniConverter)
At the top of our list is Online UniConverter. With both an online and desktop version available, you can’t go wrong with this one. All you have to do is drag your audio file onto the website, choose a format and a bit rate, and click a button – it’s that easy.
- Supports compression of 8 different audio formats
- Users can compress files at a low bit rate or a high bit rate
- Compressed files can be downloaded or saved to Dropbox
- No advertisements or compression limits!
- You can also use this tool to convert WAV to other formats
- Also available as a desktop application (although this isn’t necessary)
With the quick and easy process that this compression tool uses, even if you have to compress a lot of audio files, this is the best online tool to use.
The unique feature that Online UniConverter possesses is that you can save to Dropbox. Since the key benefit of compressing files is that your computer’s storage doesn’t fill quickly, you can take this a step further by storing your audio files on cloud storage instead!
#2 – OnlineConverter.com
The next tool on our list of WAV compressors is OnlineConverter.com, a simplistic and easy to use solution. Although there aren’t a lot of extra features that come with it, this compressor gets straight to the point and compresses WAV files effectively.
- Converts WAV files to MP3 format
- Either upload an audio file or add a URL to retrieve the WAV audio
- Adjust the audio quality from 8 kbps to 320 kbps (lower quality results in a smaller file)
- Only supports files which do not have encryption
- Free to use with a simple interface
OnlineConverter.com compresses files by converting them to the preferable MP3 format. Doing this also has the benefit of MP3 being a widely supported format.
Some users report that when using this tool, the compression takes a significant amount of time. It’s possible that refreshing the page will resolve this. But if you’re compressing a large file, then this is inconvenient.
Another tool which compresses WAV by converting to MP3 is Online-Audio-Converter.com. After you upload a file from your computer, Google Drive, or Dropbox, you have several options.
- Compress files in MP3, WAV, M4A, and many other formats
- Adjust the audio quality for better compression
- Add fading in or out to your audio tracks
- Edit the metadata of any audio files that you upload
- Supports batch file compression
This WAV compressor doubles as a downloader as well. You simply paste a URL in the box, select the settings you want, and you’re good to go.
#4 – AConvert.com
AConvert is one of the WAV compressors which goes far beyond an audio tool. It also has used with PDF files, videos, photos, and various other documents. When it comes to audio files though:
- Add files from your computer, URL, or a cloud storage platform
- Clip audio files to remove unnecessary parts
- Supports converting files from WAV to more than ten other formats
- Upload and merge multiple audio files into a single file
- Adjust both the bit rate and sample rate of your audio files
There are just as many features for the video section of this site as well. Unfortunately, there are a few downsides: if you have slow internet then the compression will take a while, the site has ads on it, and you’ll notice that there isn’t a lot of flexibility in terms of the compression process. Nonetheless, the fact that this site can benefit for so many types of files is what makes it amazing.
Last on our list is Audio.Online-Convert.com which is one of the simpler options, but still has a few extras worth noting.
- Convert audio from URL, computer, Dropbox, or Google Drive
- When converting your audio to WAV, you can also trim the audio
- Adjust the audio’s bit rate, sampling rate, and audio channels
- Create an account to save your conversion settings
Being able to save your settings is an incredibly useful feature. Although you have to sign up, this makes it easier to compress multiple files using the same settings.
Using Online UniConverter as a WAV Compressor
Since Online UniConverter is at the top of this list of WAV compressors, we’re going to show you how to use it.
- Step #1 – First open your browser and go to the Online UniConverter website.
- Step #2 – Either drag your audio file onto the website or click the “Add File” button.
- Step #3 – Select quality and format using the drop-down menus.
- Step #4 – Click “Compress” and your file will now upload and begin compression.
- Step #5 – Within seconds, the compression will be complete, and you can click “Download” to retrieve the new file.
This quick and easy process is just one of the reasons that Online UniConverter is at the top of the list. It’s easy to use, and if you’ve got a lot of files to compress, batch compression is available. Of all the compressors on the list, this is the one to keep your eye on.
Alternatively, you might want to use the desktop version of Online UniConverter: Wondershare UniConverter.
Best Program for Compressing WAV
It’s advantageous to use one of the online WAV compressors above, in part due to the fact you don’t need to install anything. However, if you have a high-performance computer that could compress files much faster and efficiently, you might prefer a software solution.
Wondershare UniConverter is the best video compressing program out there. Aside from being a fantastic solution to compress videos, here’s what else it is capable of:
- Convert M4A to WAV, convert videos and audio files from any format to over 1000 different formats
- Download videos from various websites
- Edit videos that you download, convert or transfer to your computer
- Add missing metadata to video files
- Includes a multi-purpose toolbox which allows screen recording, GIF making, and much more
- Burn videos of any format onto a DVD
- Available as a free trial version or as a paid version
Having so much to offer, it’s clear that Wondershare UniConverter is a contender for being one of the best video tools out there. Not only is it useful for compressing videos, but it’s also great at downloading, editing, and burning videos to DVDs. At the very least we recommend trying the free version and experiencing some of these features for yourself!
Hopefully, you’ve decided that Wondershare UniConverter is the WAV compressor that you want to try. If that’s the case, then here’s a short guide to follow which will explain how to use this program to compress your WAV audio files.
Step #1 – Download and install either the free or paid version of Wondershare UniConverter.
Step #2 – Launch the program after it finishes installing.
Step #3 – Click on “Convert” on the navigation menu and then click the “+ Add Files” button.
Step #4 – Use the explorer window to locate and select the files that you want to compress.
Step #5 – Once you add all of the videos to the list, click the drop-down menu next to “Convert all files to:” at the top-right.
Step #6 – Click on the “+Create Custom” button at the bottom of the list, and a window should appear. Set the following settings before clicking “Create“:
- Encoder: Auto
- Channel: 1
- Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
- Bitrate: 64 kbps
Step #7 – At the bottom-right of the window, click on the folder icon, and select an output location.
Step #8 – Press on the “Convert All” button at the bottom-right and the compression will begin. You’ll see details about each file shown on the screen, including the compression progress and output file size.
It’ll only take a few minutes to complete this process. Of course, if you are compressing a much larger video file, then it’ll take longer. However, if most of your videos or audio files are short, the compression shouldn’t take too long.
To Conclude on WAV Compressors
Compressing your videos and audio files, whatever format they are, has a lot of benefits. Best of all by using WAV compressors you don’t have to compromise the quality of a video in order to store it efficiently. All of your audio will be stored in WAV format, as appropriate file size, and your hard drive’s storage won’t max out quickly. From this list, we suggest either Wondershare UniConverter or Online UniConverter. Both are similar solutions with the exception of one being online and the other being a program. Either way, you can compress high-quality audio files with ease and benefit greatly.